Types of Heartburn Remedies
Dealing with heartburn can be extremely uncomfortable and frustrating, especially if you experience it every time you eat your favorite foods.
The first thing you should do if you have chronic heartburn is to see your doctor for a check-up to make sure that it’s not a symptom of another underlying health condition. Some people naturally get heartburn frequently, but in some cases it can be indicative of a more serious problem.
If you’ve always gotten heartburn often and have been checked out by a doctor or if you only get heartburn every once in a while, learning more about easily accessible heartburn remedies can help you keep it in check at all times.
You can find many over-the-counter heartburn products at your local drug store. Keeping a few on hand can help you reduce your heartburn symptoms as soon as they happen. It’s also a good idea to carry a few products in your bag while you run errands or go to work in case you get heartburn when you are far away from the comfort of your home.
While over-the-counter heartburn medications can work quite well, they can be pricey. If you get heartburn often, you can end up spending a fortune on medication. To save money, you can try a few popular home remedies for controlling heartburn.
There are many different homemade heartburn remedies, so you might have to try a few methods before you find the one that works best for you.
- Chewing gum helps, but it probably won’t lead to immediate relief.
- Most people who use gum to control heartburn after eating report feeling relief after about half an hour of chewing.
- You can also use baking soda to create a homemade drink recipe. You can find different baking soda mix recipes for heartburn relief on the Internet.
- Licorice can also help, especially if you use chewable licorice before meal times.
- Drinking milk is a popular traditional heartburn remedy, but it rarely leads to long-term relief. It can help you calm your stomach down for a few minutes, which is helpful.
Keep in mind that the best way to control heartburn is to be proactive about prevention. Making small lifestyle changes can make a huge difference in the frequency of heartburn symptoms. One of the best ways to avoid heartburn is to avoid overeating.
It can take about 15 minutes for you to know when you are full, so eat your food slowly. Otherwise, you can end up overeating without even realizing it. If you are overweight, controlling your portions can help you lose weight, which in turn will reduce your heartburn symptoms. To avoid heartburn at night, make sure that you eat your dinner several hours before you plan to go to bed.
Find out more about our top rated solutions for Heartburn: